[MUD-Dev] Movies About MUDs & the Virtual Experience

Kevin Littlejohn darius at bofh.net.au
Sat Mar 24 16:27:08 CET 2001

"Michael Tresca" wrote

> This is not a particularly long list of movies of this type, but I
> think it's worth creating.  A lot of these movies, weirdly enough,
> end up being about the "mobs" that we code -- what if they had
> thoughts, what if they woke up and realized they were just part of a
> game. Still others deal with the impact of such virtual realities on
> morality and self.  In any case, it's food for thought -- perhaps
> this was done before, but I'll add my suggestions (sorry, I had to
> add the Matrix):

>   The Thirteenth Floor: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0139809
>   eXistenz: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0120907
>   The Matrix: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0133093
>   Strange Days: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0114558

I tend to include movies like Dark City and Bladerunner in with those,
primarily because they are (to use my SO's description) "reality
check" movies - Dark City puts the people in a created/manipulated
world and has them slowly discover such (and I actually think it and
Matrix parallel each other pretty closely), and Bladerunner has that
whole "is a replicant real?" question going.

But you'll run into the fuzzy edges of what's about virtual worlds and
what's not pretty quickly if you're not way selective ;) Ghost in the
Shell?

KevinL