[MUD-Dev] RPGPlanet Review

Chris Lloyd crl199 at soton.ac.uk
Fri Mar 23 18:10:41 CET 2001

A friend of mine sent me an short email today:

> Check out www.rpgplanet.com
>
> They are reviewing a mud, thought you might be interested.

To my astonishment, just a little way down from the reviews of Final
Fantasy IX and Diablo II, is a article on Achaea. A professional games
site has actually produced an accurate and positive review of a text
game, just like it does for EQ, AC, Diablo 2 and the collection of
high-profile graphical worlds.

I read through it, and I'm still amazed that rpgplanet is actually
reviewing a text game. I wonder if this will become a more common
occurrence? When was the last time a text MUD got a mention in a PC or
gaming magazine?

Two quotes that stuck in my mind:

>  Yes, there are EverQuest and company's roots, but let's face it,
>  television plays better with the kids than books. Text MUDs, it
>  seemed, are irrelevant.  Man, was I wrong.

and at the end:

>  in an online games world dominated by the big graphical MMORPGs,
>  Achaea is the only text MUD that still matters.

Kudos!

C.

--Chris Lloyd

--Ship Science
--Faculty of Engineering and Applied Sciences
--University of Southampton
--crl199 at soton.ac.uk