[MUD-Dev] Introduction Systems

Ben Chambers bjchambers at telocity.com
Sun Mar 18 22:18:51 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Buehler" <johnbue at msn.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2001 11:30 AM
Subject: RE: [MUD-Dev] Introduction Systems

> Marian Griffith writes:

>> In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Fri 16 Mar, Travis Casey wrote:

>>> Yep, you could do that.  I suggested 64 since that seemed to be a
>>> safe number to me, but you could, of course, go smaller.  The
>>> ultimate limit would be to require each player to have only one
>>> name they use for introductions; that, of course, would mean that
>>> you could get away with just having a list of the player IDs that
>>> each character knows.

>> Surely you could create a unique number for each name you introduce
>> yourself with, and keep that with both your character and with the
>> recipient of the name. That would keep the burden of the name keep-
>> ing with the player doing something weird like that.  Of course not
>> too many players would bother I would guess.. Keeping more than one
>> name for yourself is going to be hopelessly complicated, and enti-
>> rely pointless for anybody but a dedicated roleplayer.

> Nothing is pointless for a goal-oriented player if there is
> advantage to doing it.  If players can use disguises (multiple
> identities) in

If you go into disguises it adds a new layer of intricacy to the
problem.  Now, players can bluff, but also change their appearances.
In this case, you would have to store what each player knows about
each possible appearance.  For example, I look like a.  Introduce
myself to someone as ben.  Come back, looking like b, and introduce
myself as Joe.  Now, depending what I look like, I will have a
different name to that player.