[MUD-Dev] Introduction Systems

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Sun Mar 18 00:46:28 CET 2001

In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Fri 16 Mar, Travis Casey wrote:
> Kwon Ekstrom wrote:
>> From: "Travis Casey" <efindel at earthlink.net>

I am probably going to prove my ignorance on the subject...

> Yep, you could do that.  I suggested 64 since that seemed to be a
> safe number to me, but you could, of course, go smaller.  The
> ultimate limit would be to require each player to have only one name
> they use for introductions; that, of course, would mean that you
> could get away with just having a list of the player IDs that each
> character knows.

Surely you could create a unique number for each name you introduce
yourself with, and keep that with both your character and with the
recipient of the name. That would keep the burden of the name keep-
ing with the player doing something weird like that.  Of course not
too many players would bother I would guess.. Keeping more than one
name for yourself is going to be hopelessly complicated, and enti-
rely pointless for anybody but a dedicated roleplayer.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey