[MUD-Dev] Re: Analysis and specification - the dirty words of mud development?

francois at toubol.com francois at toubol.com
Wed Mar 14 11:41:24 CET 2001

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/1998Q2/msg01184.php

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998 17:26:21 -0700
Adam Wiggins <adam at angel.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, J C Lawrence wrote:
> > Niklas Elmqvist<d97elm at dtek.chalmers.se> wrote:

>>> Another must-buy for O-O design zealots is "Design Patterns :
>>> Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software" written by Gamma,
>>> Vlissides, Johnson and Helm (incidentially, these four are called
>>> Gang of Four or GoF for short).

>> An absolute must-have.  Utterly wonderful, and amazingly humbling.
>> Don't expect to understand it on the first reading.  The authors
>> didn't claim to understand it as they wrote it (see the preface).

> I read this about a year ago on the recommend of a friend.  The
> thing I found the most interesting about it was that much (maybe
> even most) of the stuff that was in there was things I had come up
> with on my own, just not nearly so elegantly, and I had never
> thought of them as being seperate "paterns", just things I thought
> up to solve a specific problem.  So though someone who has been
> doing OO programming for a while will probably not learn anything
> completely new, it does wonders to solidify and clarify the concepts
> that you've probably already been using for a while, not to mention
> give you some good names by which to call them.

I was reading some mail regarding this conversation. Just a little
remember for you Adam. Craig Larmam wrote in "Applying UML and
Paterns" p.190 : Paterns do not usually contain new ideas : The point
of paterns is not to discover and express new software engineering
principles. Quite the opposite is true. Consequently, paterns do not
state any new idea; they are a codification of widely used principles.

Regards,
MUD-Dev mailing list
MUD-Dev at kanga.nu