Digital Property Law [was RE: [MUD-Dev] Selling training]

Nathan F.Yospe yospe at kanga.nu
Wed Mar 14 01:44:59 CET 2001

Matt Mihaly <the_logos at www.achaea.com> said:

> On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, rayzam wrote:

Interestingly, this particular issue often comes up.  There have been
a number of cases where rape victims have sued universities for trying
to bully them out of carrying charges to a real (as opposed to
university) law enforcement agency and court system, usually out of
concern for the scandal or because of a desire to protect their
precious athletes (they are, as you might have guessed, the most
common offenders in academia's rape cases) from jail.  A word of
warning for anyone thinking the same, or similar, issues might
eventually apply to online worlds... there has been precedent for
criminal as well as civil liability on the part of a private justice
system in cases like this.  If your system imposes some judgement and
your motives are suspect, you could be criminally charged as an
accessory.  In spite of the fact that you (might have) gained the
right to levy criminal judgement within your jurisdiction.  The way
the whole thing works is, a university (and presumably a mud) is
treated as a deputized district, as if it were a seperate city.
Little known fact is, a county court can try a city judge as a
criminal accessory in such a case...  and since the universities
rarely employ *real* judges, they are far more likely to be actually
tried than a city.  And I doubt your mud judgements would be rendered
by (online jurisdiction?) bar approved judges.

--
Nathan F. Yospe  email: yospe at kanga.nu nyospe at a2i.com nyospe at pacbell.net
Don't mind me, I'm just insane - there's someone else here, in my brain.