[MUD-Dev] Modular Design Issues RFC

Kwon Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Tue Mar 13 07:32:05 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Rhodes" <ryanshaerhodes at hotmail.com>

> If I just wrote the entire game object (the whole runtime basically)
> out to that other machine with an Object Output Stream can I still
> consider that a short ammount of time?  Is the delay for writing

I don't have enough information to make an accurate judgement on this,
but I imagine that your game would have thousands of objects (mobs,
items, rooms, skills, races, etc) which would probably block the
thread for several seconds.  There would be several contributing
factors other than just the speed of the output stream.  For example,
the ObjectOutputStream would have to serialize each object
individually, then you have bandwidth considerations.

> output proportional to the size of the output?  Also, is this delay
> unrelated to weather its written over a network or to the local disk
> on a separate thread?

The delay would definately be proportional to the data sent, you
wouldn't expect to receive a 10mb download in the same amount of time
as a 1mb download would you?  I expect a local disk might take a
little less time than over the network because of bandwidth
considerations.

-- Kwon Ekstrom