FW: [MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Nathan F.Yospe yospe at kanga.nu
Mon Mar 12 23:22:14 CET 2001

<EdNote: Quote trimmed>

david.l.smith at home.com said:
> [holding99 at mindspring.com wrote:]

>> Easily have *persistent* characters (characters who do things while
>> thier players do not) Enforce character traits as they affect
>> character action (alignment, quirks, etc) Assume more correctly that
>> the characters "fit in" to the world they're a part of Treat PC and
>> NPC in similar manners (anyone want a PC that can be easily
>> scripted?
>
> Player AI's that could *probably* be created *by the players*)
>
> Overall a really d*mn cool idea, and one that I'd love to hear more
> thought about. Basically I think that the more closely you can combine
> the concepts of PC and NPC in a system, the easier it is to program
> effects that treat them both logically. But the AI system that
> interprets player suggestions and creates character actions would have
> to be fairly advanced. In addition it should probably be able to adapt
> the "personality" of the character to the play style of the player
> over the long run. For instance, the good paladin character shouldn't
> possibly attack the old woman the first time the player tells it to,
> but if the player spends some time making the paladin do increasingly
> evil things, there might come a day when the paladin's AI relishes the
> suggestion to attack the old woman.

And any NPC could be inhabitable...

See the archives for examples:

  <http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/1997Q2/msg00487.php>
  <http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/1997Q2/msg00153.php>

(neat ideas... corrupting your own character...)

--
Nathan F. Yospe  email: yospe at kanga.nu nyospe at a2i.com nyospe at pacbell.net
Don't mind me, I'm just insane - there's someone else here, in my brain.