[MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

Vincent Archer archer at nevrax.com
Mon Mar 12 10:05:12 CET 2001

According to Brian Hook:

> If you were to define your basic types of characters, irrespective
> of the names or the specific abilities, you would often end up with
> a list like:

>   - melee combatant: monks, warriors, brawlers
>   - non-melee combatant: archers, snipers, magic users
>   - healer/non-combatant: shaman (optional)
>   - stealth (optional)

There's also one archetype you haven't represented there, but which,
sadly, is also rarely seen in combat games, and which is what I'd call
"the general". The guy who does not participate in any form in the
combat proper, but who manages it, find out data beforehand, look at
what happens and redirect attention to critical points, calls for the
retreat if necessary, and so on.

But there's rarely a "general" archetype, because most of a good
general's abilities are player abilities, not character skills.

--
Vincent Archer                                         Email: archer at nevrax.com

Nevrax France.                              Off on the yellow brick road we go!