[MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

Marc Bowden ryumo at merit.edu
Mon Mar 12 07:23:10 CET 2001

--On Sunday, March 11, 2001 9:32 PM -0500 Travis Casey
<efindel at earthlink.net> wrote:

>> I don't imagine that such a thing would be likely to happen in a
>> MUD, so I don't know if I could ever get the same satisfaction. I'm
>> not a serious RPer, though. Perhaps those who are can build the
>> good stories

> Such things can happen in roleplaying-focused muds.  For example, in
> a MUSH which requires consent for actions or storylines to have
> permanent effects, a player might choose to have his/her character
> die if he/she likes the way in which it will happen.

This is worth restating: once a player has an emotional investment in
their character, the character's "death" has to be for something that
that *player* thinks is worthwhile, otherwise, the player not only
feels cheated but also develops an aversion to that level of
investment in the future - a "barrier to re-entry" if you will. (Peter
Molyneux's story of the loss of the Little Plastic Egg is a wonderful
illustration of the phenomenon.)

--
Marc Bowden - Soulsinger         Dreamshadow:The Legacy of the Three
  ryumo at merit.edu                                 206.246.120.2 3333