FW: [MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Koster Koster
Sun Mar 11 09:57:41 CET 2001

This whole thread is confusing me, and is starting to feel circular.

Lots and lots of muds use knowledge modeling. That's what simple quest
flagging is. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that knowledge modeling
is the current standard in mud quest design. It's demonstrably gamed
over and over by many players. Common approaches to fixing that
include:

  a) fictionalizing it more to mask the fact that it was gamed

  b) having randomly chosen variables in the mix so that it isn't
  completely predictable

  c) not considering it a problem

  d) attempting to not model character knowledge

But you seem to be saying that quest flagging and its many variants
(basically, converting the intangible attributes of player knowledge
of facts into tangible ones that can be tracked by the server) ISN'T
knowledge modeling. So what is?

-Raph