[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev digest, Vol 1 #271 - 30 msgs

Richard A. Bartle richard at mud.co.uk
Fri Mar 9 12:30:06 CET 2001

On 8th March, 2001, Kevin Littlejohn wrote:

> I'd say the same thing for muds - reaching high levels is an
> achievement, even if I know anyone with time and/or money can get
> there, because it _takes_ time and/or money.

so you'd be happy if people could go to Verant and say, "it would take
me 12 months to work up a level 50 character. How about I give you
$120 for my 12 month's play and you just give me one now."?

> Maybe you'd count lack of interest as another form of PD?

I might argue that if there were PD (done right) then the interest
wouldn't wane so quickly.

> To them, the game component aspect wasn't so important, it was
> having the cards that counted.  I think "being a game" being the
> foundation of the CCG's is a very brave call :)

Uh? I thought it was almost axiomatic! The genius of M:TG was that it
was actually just a regular collect-a-card system, like collecting
stickers for sports, that people have been doing for decades. However,
by dressing it up as a game - and a not-bad one at that - they managed
to lure in all kinds of people who would never have been remotely
interested in it otherwise.

		Richard