[MUD-Dev] Lava and RPGs

Brian Hook bwh at wksoftware.com
Thu Mar 8 02:56:35 CET 2001

At 01:54 PM 3/7/01 -0500, Dave Rickey wrote:

> For a long time, Solusek A and B were the least used dungeons in the
> game, because it was rather easy to run into lava and die (just go
> LD while pointed in that direction).

This is a pet peeve of mine with EQ, and possibly with PC "hybrid"
games in general.  EQ is ostensibly an RPG, where reflexes and
connection speed are supposed to be factored out against decision
making and character stats/items.  Circle strafing and "monkey
jumping" don't do anything for you in the game.

So why, oh why, would you have areas where jumping, reflexes and
connection speed determine your character's chance of survival?!  This
makes almost no sense to me.  The only logical conclusion is that
point of view (first person) ended up dictating some play mechanics
almost by default.

SolA, SolB, HighPass and Kelethin all come to mind, because
effectively these areas aren't testing your character at all, they're
testing your connection and your ability to navigate in first person
perspective.  I mean, Kelethin -- ACK!  What kind of lunacy is that?!
Blind falloffs that hopefully lead to ramps going down, inconsistent
ramp markers, and no railings.  And it's a starting city where newbies
learn the game!

I have a similar pet peeve with Deus Ex, an "RPG/action" hybrid that,
IMO, fails horribly at both.  But that's another rant =)

Brian