[MUD-Dev] Distributed Processing

Gaffney Gaffney
Wed Mar 7 15:12:57 CET 2001

There is a tremendous amount of theory behind it.  I can't think of
any easily digestible books on the subject off of hand (most
interesting recent developments are still in research papers since
there is a lot of work currently being done on distributed systems)
but here's a decent-though-not-always-recent summary page:

  http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Apps/MCS/other-sites.html

Papers by Robert Netzer are likely especially pertinent for the MMP
crowd since he did a large amount of the R&D on the subject for AC.  I
doubt too much of that is published/publishable however.

As a side note, unless you have truly unusual criterion to meet, I
recommend staying away from any solution that requires research.  Much
more trivial solutions than cutting edge ones will work for 99% of the
needs out there in online games.  And the 1% would do well to think
about changing their requirements, ship sooner, and adopt some more
easily distributable world representation.  IMO :)

-jg