[MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

Sanvean sanvean at ginka.armageddon.org
Wed Mar 7 10:48:49 CET 2001

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services wrote:

> Jeremy Gaffney wrote:

>> So one could argue that permadeath hurts/disincentivizes
>> roleplayers from playing and encourages players who form minimal
>> attachment to a given character and are efficiency experts at
>> regaining levels - powergamers.  Which is interesting given how
>> often permadeath is stated as being a roleplaying-driven desire.

> C'mon.  Give roleplayers a bit more credit.  Not all who like RP
> insist on playing "Wylie Coyote," picking themselves up after being
> blown up, flattened, or making that little silhouette in the ground
> when falling from a great height, ready to chase after the Road
> Runner and try again.

> Some of us can even deal with tragedy.  In fact, some of us are able
> to seen the entertainment value of many different themes and moods
> that fit together to tell a story.

We recently had a thread regarding permanent death and how crucial it
was to Armageddon as a roleplaying MUD spring up on our discussion
board.  Generally, the players said without the concept of permanent
death, the MUD wouldn't be as satisfying to roleplay on.  And speaking
for myself, I know the virtual heartbreak of losing a beloved friend
has at times added great depth and emotion to the game -- as well as a
crucial edge to dangerous situations, knowing that the danger to the
character was very very real, and I couldn't at the last minute duck
out via some clever emote.  This is, in fact, one of the reasons why I
play Armageddon -- that little thrill of danger and desperation is
addictive.

Players said things like 'Without perm-death, I wouldn't play it' and
'Perm-death is what makes this a good role-playing environment.'  The
entire thread (which ended up wandering off into other realms, as good
discussions often do) is located at

  http://www.armageddon.org/HyperNews/get/general/1494.html

Sanvean
Armageddon MUD.  Roleplay required.