[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Jon Lambert tychomud at ix.netcom.com
Wed Mar 7 03:47:54 CET 2001

msew wrote:

>> Actually, that is an example of poor roleplaying, not of poor
>> games.

> right but unless it is enforced some how in the game you will ALWAYS
> have the masses that defect from the RP type world :(

Defect?  Just don't let them in... A chargen process requiring one to
write up one's detailed character background, descriptions,
motivations, etc., coupled with admistration approval is more than
enough to send your average GoPer screaming back to EQ, AC and UOL,
which is where we'd like them to stay BTW.  :-)

> And when your group of RPers are doing their thing and the non RPers
> are just being total wankers it just ruins it.

Yeah it sure does.

> Player policing just never seems to work for this.  It seems the
> best option left is in game restrictions on the classes/skillsets
> that are clearly opposites in religion/faction/?race?/<varName>.

If you have something in your mud server that even comes close to
resembling a "game" it acts like a GoPer magnet.  Which is why your
immersive roleplaying muds have to use authoritarian and admin
intensive methods of player policing, since most of them implement
games (player vs. environment) .  Remove the combat system, and all
the twitch min/maxer fun and games, and let players involved decide
who wins the sword fight, whether they slew the dragon or whether the
dragon bested them.  Those games require much less authoritarian
policies because the players are there for the same reason ...to
roleplay.

--
--* Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD        Email:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com *--
--* Mud Server Developer's Page <http://tychomud.home.netcom.com> *--