[MUD-Dev] A new MUD-standard

Kwon Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Tue Mar 6 01:54:09 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ben Chambers" <bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com>

> The problem, I was saying previously, is that there are some
> differences in requirements between an RPG and a web-site.  The new
> standard I think should be something that supports mapping and lists
> and different types of windows, but also allows formatting like
> HTML.

Sure there are differences between an RPG and a website.  The web is a
presentation medium.  An rpg is defined as "a role play game".  The
client uses the web(presentation) to display what the server(rpg)
sends it.

List support is supplied a variety of ways, you can use generic html
lists (ul, ol, dl), a select/option list, or build your own using
other tags.

Multiple windows can be done a variety of ways, the easiest being frames and
the CSS overflow attribute.
I already support targetting frames, and elements, you can either append to,
or replace the old data.

You mention that you should allow formatting like HTML, which is what
I'm doing, except I don't see how the lists, and multiple windows
can't be done using html.

What I'm trying to do is make as few assumptions about what the game
developer "wants", if you spend a couple days looking for a new mud
it's easy to see that it's rare to find 2 games that are alike, unless
they're stock.

For my own game, I've simply got 3 frames, main, channel, prompt I
have a table in the prompt frame, with id's on various cells so I can
target them directly and replace them with new information.  the
channel window is to separate communication and socials from direct
combat, should make it easier to play the game in groups since you
don't need to pick out what your buddies are telling you from the text
(although I think that text skimming is one of the great skills of
text-mudding) I'll probably just use simple tables and text formatting
for the most part to align things and make it easier for the player to
follow what's happening.

I'm currently writing code to handle it better in my game, so perhaps
before long I can post this stuff on the web and let you view what I
have.  The mud itself is still in early stages of development so
there's nothing impressive there yet.  (At least nothing from a gaming
aspect)

-- Kwon Ekstrom