[MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

msew msew at ev1.net
Thu Mar 1 21:58:26 CET 2001

So I was reading this
url:  http://www-news.uchicago.edu/citations/2001/010211.thaler.html

Check out this quote :-)

>>> QUOTE >>>
For a while, Thaler regarded such anomalies as mere cocktail-party
fodder. But in 1976 he happened upon the work of two psychologists,
Daniel Kahneman and the now-deceased Amos Tversky, who had been
studying many of the same behaviors as Thaler. The two had noticed a
key pattern: people are more concerned with changes in wealth than
with their absolute level -- a violation of standard theory that
explained many of Thaler's anomalies. Moreover, most people are "loss
averse," meaning they experience more pain from losses than pleasure
from gains. This explains why investors hate to sell losers. For
Thaler, their work was an epiphany. He wrote to Tversky, who plainly
encouraged him. "He took me seriously," Thaler recalled, "and because
of that, I started taking it seriously."
<<< END QUOTE <<<

With a PD world going to have a lot of pain out there :-)

msew