[MUD-Dev] Non-combat advancement and roleplay

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Tue Jun 26 20:25:40 CEST 2001

On Sun, 24 Jun 2001, Brian 'Psychochild' Green wrote:

> One day, Joe Blow, the knife-wielding maniac bursts into the
> throne room.  He has no prestige, but demands that the king give
> him a large sum of money.  The king laughs and tells him to quit
> wasting his time. As Joe rushes toward the king with his blade
> brandished, the guards step in and bring a quick end to Joe's
> life.

And what about the King who IS an excellent fighter, and who decides
that since people with a lower reputation than he cannot fight back,
he'll just slaughter them repeatedly. "Lower his reputation for
that" you might say, but there hasn't yet been invented a formula
for distinguishing between killing and murder.

Yes, you can group together somehow, but presumably so could the
King, and in the end you'd end up, it seems to me, with an
untouchable group of high-reputation people who are cooperating in
order to hold the land under the terror of their iron-fisted
rule. At least, that's what one of my characters would do.

--matt