[MUD-Dev] List rituals

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Mon Jun 25 12:35:51 CEST 2001

From: Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad [mailto:olag at ifi.uio.no]

> What I am hoping for is a group of capable C++ developers willing
> to go for an experimental server on the conceptual level, aiming
> for local evolution and global adjustment/"control". Maybe
> marrying event-based systems, logic programming, constraint based
> programming, genetic algorithms in an inefficient but minimal and
> flexible design with excessive logging for analytical
> purposes. I.e. suitable for prototyping, testing and analysing new
> ideas. (30 simultaneous users, tcp/ip text based protocol or http
> web-interface, 2 GB RAM 2GHz CPU, GPL...?)

> (Capable C++ developers =3D able to read and understand the C++
> standard and write legible code. The latest Stroustrup book is a
> good and solid brick.)

Whilst getting the basic framework in place might not be too
difficult, the main problem I would forsee is with scale. I'm not
convinced that one can necessarily experiment with a very small
population and get useful results, although as a whiteboard to focus
people's attention, it might still prove rewarding.

I'm close to starting to build a mud from the ground up (yeah yeah
:p ) as I want to explore the area domination metaphore, but frankly
my brain has melted trying to work through some of the game dynamics
involved and I'm reluctant to start until I have worked through the
problem domain sufficiently. I really feel there is a lot of milage
to be had marrying a RTS approach with an MMORPG. Its just that when
you start moving into the realm of player built towns and outposts,
I start seeing more problems than I see answers. I'd love to discuss
the topic here in more depth, but its often a case where I don't
even know the questions...

Dan