[MUD-Dev] When the interface becomes the challenge.

Ling Lo ling at slimy.com
Mon Jun 25 05:53:18 CEST 2001

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Brian Hook wrote:

> PC developers are notorious for screwing this up.  Console
> developers are much better at this kind of contextual usage
> because they've had to adapt to a limited input device.  Contrast
> climbing a ladder in a PC game vs. climbing a ladder in a console
> game.  In the former, it's usually some horrifying combination of
> jump/stick or walk+"crouch or jump".  It's ludicrous.

I believe there was a PC FPS game quite recently which had an action
button.  The developers tried to make it context sensitive by making
the button double up as jump if the player was in a suitable
situation to do so (read: decided by the game).  I'll leave it to
the imagination what havoc this caused.

--
  |   Ling Lo
_O_O_