[MUD-Dev] UDP vs TCP/IP

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sun Jun 24 03:05:40 CEST 2001

On Sun, 24 Jun 2001 00:17:00 -0700
Andrew Kirmse <akirmse at pacbell.net> wrote:

> - If I read it right, JC Lawrence implied that it's possible to
> write your own protocol directly on IP.  However, all current
> versions of Windows lack support for these so-called "raw
> sockets".  Windows XP and Unix have them.

Slight extension:

  I know of several companies in the content management/distribution
  arena which are specifically developing various overlay protocols
  (some custom/proprietary, some not) atop IP so as to better
  offer/define/extend their services.

  TCP is a very general protocol stack.  It works well, but does not
  perform as well as it might under specific loads due to overhead
  and compromises made in the name of generality (eg connection
  build-up/tear-down expense and latency).  Writing a custom
  protocol atop can be extremely attractive for these cases, and
  best of all, the routers don't care -- its just more IP packets.

J C Lawrence                                             claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                                http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/
I never claimed to be human.