[MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Sat Jun 23 05:11:35 CEST 2001

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, J C Lawrence wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 17:57:28 +0000 (GMT)
> Matt Mihaly <the_logos at achaea.com> wrote:

>> We let player send each other messages directly, or for a more
>> elaborate system, there is Achaea's postal system. You can format
>> your messages on a letter and include items with it, etc. Pay a
>> few gold and it'll get delivered next time the player logs on.

> Abuse vector:

>   Send objects to a mule character that never collects/gets them.
>   Result: objects effectively removed (untraceably?) from game.

A player in Achaea doing that would just be wasting his money and/or
time obtaining the items, and then wasting his money and time
sending them through the postal service. Eventually the items will
decay or, if they are important to the game, will reset.

> Spiffier abuse vector:

>   Send diseases/Bad Things to enemies.  Result: Impersonal
>   identifiable time-ranged attack.

Yeah, we're always getting people asking if they can mail mushroom
sigils to their enemies (mushroom sigils are placed on another item
to destroy it. Commonly used to take out flame-sigiled items.)

> There are other interesting possibilities surrounding the possible
> designs of the interface for accepting/rejecting/discarding such
> received messages.

Well, we just have the letter automatically delivered 20 seconds or
so after the person logs in. The letter contains writing and any
objects that were mailed. You can look inside the letter without
actually affecting or being affected by anything mailed to you. So
if you did not like, for some reason (can't think of one currently)
something that was mailed to you, you could just bin the letter.

--matt