[MUD-Dev] When the interface becomes the challenge.

Matt Owen MOwen at Channel4.co.uk
Fri Jun 22 16:59:09 CEST 2001

From: Koster, Raph [mailto:rkoster at verant.com]

> Many FPS players want the W, A, S, D keys to be movement. That
> shoots type to talk down right there.

I play an awful LOT of Quake 3 (And Quake/2 before that), and I have
never gotten on with the WASD keyboard configuration.

What worked for me, is having Free-Look on the mouse, move it
forwards I look down, backwards I look up, left & right etc. With
Run forward on one of the buttons and 'action' on the other ('fire'
in this instance).

This config leaves my left hand (and I am a left hander) free to
roam the keyboard hitting keys for special commands. Granted, there
aren't many special commands in Quake 3, but you get the idea. I
tend to use this layout for most 1st and 3rd person games.

I have never found anyone else who plays with a config like this,
but it suits me. Which brings me to my point. In my view designers
should set up a 'most common' set of controls for the genre of the
game they are designing, and offer via one easy keypress a
re-configuration screen, so that experienced players (most newbies
would just learn the default layout) could fiddle with their setup
until they were happy.

Jaruzel.