[MUD-Dev] When the interface becomes the challenge.

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Fri Jun 22 14:21:32 CEST 2001

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001 13:24:56 -0600, "Travis Nixon"
<tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com> wrote:

> Boy, there are just so many stereotypes in here that I don't even
> know where to begin.

Stereotypes exist for a reason. I *did* say "almost". Yes, there are
exceptions... but the average developer, when he needs something
done, will *try* to do it himself. Some few are actually mature
enough to say "man, I really suck at this" and stop. Even fewer are
versatile enough to do a good job.

> Maybe it was more accurate when games could actually be made from
> start to finish by one person, but in case you've missed the boat,
> that stopped being true many many years ago.

When games could be made from start to finish by one person, the
graphics capabilities of most computers were so terrible that even
programmer artwork looked pretty good. I can do decent 16-color
sprites, but who the hell wants a 16-color sprite? :P

> Anyway, not every developer is a complete control freak.  In fact,
> as far as I'm aware, very few of them are.

The picture I painted was deliberately extreme. The *average*
developer isn't running around thinking he's great at *everything*,
but he's running around thinking he's great at SOMETHING he doesn't
know squat about.