[MUD-Dev] Interpersonal Relationships

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Jun 21 17:42:49 CEST 2001

On 20 Jun 2001, Ronan Farrell wrote:

> Our basic problem is that obnoxious players are common and are so
> powerful that if we were to re-introduce pkilling then these would
> probably go on a killing spree.  Again immortal and code
> restrictions could help that.

That does sound likely, yeah.

> I am wondering if anyone here has had experience in dealing with a
> self-sustaining group of obnoxious people on the mud.  Their
> behaviour has infected the general behaviour with a degree of
> anti-social behaviour that's anathema to a primarily social mud.

Just get rid of them, seriously. The BEST tool any mud administrator
has for regulating behavior in a MUD is the culture of the MUD. The
big MUDs haven't yet figured out how to propogate a culture
well. It's obviously much harder with that many people, though
there's no reason it can't be done.

On a small MUD, on the other hand, it's relatively easy. (from your
description, I'd guess you're talking about a MUD even smaller than
Achaea). These idiots are _ruining_ your world it sounds to me, and
probably turning other people into idiots in the process.

Delete them, and then ban them. What do you have to lose? You don't
owe them anything. It doesn't sound like a commercial MUD so you
won't lose any revenue.

It's like cutting out a cancer. You do it ruthlessly and without
concern for any bogus "rights" that the cancer might
have. Troublemakers deserve to be treated like the filth they are.

--matt, who sometimes wishes Achaea wasn't commercial.