[MUD-Dev] PK headaches

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Jun 21 17:13:12 CEST 2001

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Ian Hess wrote:

> Would you allow the serpentlords to define a ban to reinforce the
> political might of the guild?  I can empathize with players not
> appreciating controls on their characters at time, and the related
> social costs of customer support. It would seem to me that allowing
> guild leaders to make and enforce political decisions could do
> nothing but make for a richer, more detailed game for all four
> bartle suits.

> Might I ask why you would not allow some bans to be approved?

Because much of the world depends on access to certain things. For
instance, the Infernals and Paladins _must_ have access to
venoms. Their style of combat utterly relies on it.

Or, for instance, currently the Druids and Sentinels are enforcing
an herb/salve/elixir ban because the followers of the Lord of Evil
keep despoiling the forests. This is already having an effect on
smaller players who don't have reserves and who suddenly are just
unable to get some fairly necessary things. It's worth letting it go
on for awhile, as you have to break some eggs to make an omlette,
but eventually the cost of doing this in terms of pissing off
players who don't care about the druids' problems will outweigh the
cool factor.

--matt