[MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience

Adam Martin amsm2 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 21 12:56:55 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Freeman, Jeff" <jfreeman at verant.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2001 3:40 PM
Subject: RE: [MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience

> there's more opportunity to chat in combat than there is while,
> say, travelling.

> Walking back to town to sell the bows was a big chunk of downtime,
> but again I couldn't socialize while doing that - we were on the
> move.

>> If you're walking from one close spawn to another, then that's a
>> form of downtime.

> Right, and we don't talk then.  No socializing while running from
> one close spawn to another.  We socialize once we get there and
> start killing the critters.  Talking while moving is hard, and all
> that.

On www.runescape.com, one of the limited movement options is to
follow another player. Because the paths between important places in
the world are narrow and heavily used, an easy way of getting round
is waiting for someone to walk past who is going in the right
direction, and selecting "follow" then sitting back and letting them
take you as far as possible without you having to do anything.

Of course, this frees you up to e.g. chat, and you sometimes see
trains of people, each following the next, snaking along the road,
with everyone save the leader involved in heavy
conversation/socializing. It is rather a surreal sight, but most
people seem to greatly prefer this form of movement which doesn't
require any ongoing user input, freeing them to relax and do other
things whilst their character walks.

Adam M