[MUD-Dev] Interpersonal Relationships

quzah quzah at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 21 08:03:20 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ronan Farrell" <rfarrell at parthus.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 05:41
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Interpersonal Relationships

> Our mud was primarily a social mud with original some limited
> pkilling allowed.  No perm-death but you'd lose eq and levels.  In
> the past this meant that obnoxious characters could have their
> misbehaviours punished by more powerful players.  Not a fool-proof
> solution.  However after much demand pkilling was removed. This
> has resulted in obnoxious players finding every bug and crack in
> the code to harm, steal and basically annoy everyone else without
> any fear of retribution. There is insufficient immortal resources
> to monitor everything and I am not sure that that is a good
> solution.

Kill them with the mud.

Make hunter-killer mobs that target them specificly. Make them
travel from room to room kicking their ass. Make them steal items
from the characters. Unfailabe stealing, drop and sac.

   Hunter-Killer steals your longsword of doom from your hand!
   Hunter-Killer drops a longsword of doom!
   Hunter-Killer sacs a longsword of doom!
   Hunter-Killer is rewarded by the gods with 1 gold coin!

For kicks, I made a few flags in a MERC once, to see what would
happen when creatures fought eachother, that they could shadow-
stalk eachother. That is to say, if they fled, it would simply gate
them into the room of wherever their victim was.

The idea was a shadow stalking skill that based on the amount of
room shadows, would let you travel through shadows. Since I didn't
care if the room had shadows or not in my "for the hell of it" test,
I didn't make it take that into account.

You'd likely want to something like this. Just modify your
"to_room()" function so that...

   if ( IS_NPC( mob ) && !IS_SET( mob, ACT_HUNTER_KILLER ) ) return;

Since that's the typical fashion for keeping mobs out of your "holy"
or "no-fight" rooms. Just let them go anywhere. It'd be fairly
simple. You just make it as high if not higher level than the person
you want to die, and make it target them solely.

Additionally, you could do something fun like:

   check_death( ... )
   {
      if ( IS_SET( victim, ACT_PHEONIX ) )
         do_rebirth( victim );
         return;
   }

Thus, if the pest manages to kill them, they simply respawn. :)

> Our basic problem is that obnoxious players are common and are so
> powerful that if we were to re-introduce pkilling then these would
> probably go on a killing spree.  Again immortal and code
> restrictions could help that.

Hunter-Killer. Steal-Sac. Lots of fun for all.

> I am wondering if anyone here has had experience in dealing with a
> self-sustaining group of obnoxious people on the mud.  Their
> behaviour has infected the general behaviour with a degree of
> anti-social behaviour that's anathema to a primarily social mud.

This isn't "anti-social". I am anti-social. I do not like to visit
and socialize with people.

Being a pest isn't really anti-social. It's
anti-"nomal-accepted-behavior".  That is to say, it isn't what you
want them to do, so in your eyes it is bad.

Quzah.