[MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience

J C Lawrence claw at 2wire.com
Wed Jun 20 21:54:04 CEST 2001

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 18:20:51 -0700
Caliban Tiresias Darklock <caliban at darklock.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 22:33:34 -0700, "Sean Kelly" <sean at ffwd.cx>
> wrote:

>> One thing that's kind of surprised me is that none of the MMORPGs
>> I've played had any facility for sending messages to players who
>> aren't currently online (mail).

> I'm shocked. NONE of them have this? Why not? It's one of the
> primary wish-list features for my own system. Has been for years.

The usual MUD implementation is to have an NNTP server off the side
and then build a netnews client into the MUD.  Quite a few have done
this to various levels of success.  The fact that those newsgroups
were then (occasionally) exported out just made them all the more
interesting and valuable for the players as it game them and
out-of-game and OOB channel for communication that was also
implicitly game-centric.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows