[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Mon Jun 18 18:16:50 CEST 2001

Jon Lambert writes:

> How about this definition:

>   Permadeath occurs when the player decides that the character
>   they have been playing is dead.

Actually, I was thinking about this the other day - that permadeath
occurs when OTHER PEOPLE decide that the character you have been
playing is dead.  I can claim to be Charlemagne all I want, but
nobody is going to believe me or act on the idea that it's true.  If
the systems of the game are sufficient to make players believe that
Bob's character is dead, it's dead.  But we're still playing with
that grey area of perceptions.  The next step is to talk about why
people would assume that the next character played by me isn't the
same as the last character played by me.  I took my stab at that in
my last post on this thread.

JB