[MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Thu Jun 14 21:41:17 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Koster, Raph" <rkoster at verant.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2001 12:43 AM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience

> I made this post to the Star Wars Galaxies development board
> tonight and thought that it merited tossing on mud-dev as
> well. For those interested in the players' take on things, the
> original thread can be found at:

>   http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/starwars/Forum3/HTML/013026.html

Seems like there is one more distinction to be made for 'downtime'
areas.  Things like banks or shops [if npcs buy goods from players
as part of the pseudoeconomy] are places that players go to for
quick errands. That is, they go at the beginning, end, or in the
middle of a party. In each of these cases, they are often running
quickly, and don't have time to socialize. Or should I say, have
other socializations awaiting them, in game and in real life. Things
like this should be set up so that it is convenient and takes little
time. How often do you chat with other motorists at the gas station
while filling up? Usually, you're on your way somewhere, so are
they, no real crosstalk, and the faster the better.

Contrast that with other activities, like equipment repair, eating,
transport. These are activities which could be instantaneous,
however, people are accustomed to them taking time. So, prior rl
experience probably helps here. On top of that, its easier to make
all of these a more social experience. People do chat while in
line. Going to a bar is a very social experience, compared to a
McDonald's drive-thru. Commuting by train often leads to meeting
people who commute at the same time/to the same place you do.

So my tenets would be:

    - Don't make anything that is necessary to leave the game take
    any longer than is necessary.

    - Place downtime in activities where we're used to having social
    experiences. Thus you're tapping into ready-made social
    schemas. And it sets the stage for social playing [those who
    wouldn't consider it 'downtime' in the first place].

-rayzam