[MUD-Dev] Alternatives to PvP for sustainable fiction?

shren shren at fnord.io.com
Thu Jun 14 14:51:59 CEST 2001

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:26:34 -0700, "Sean Kelly" <sean at ffwd.cx>
> wrote:

>> There has been a lot of talk about the various types of PvP, and
>> roleplaying vs. PvP, but I haven't seen much mention of a related
>> topic that concerns me, which is how can a MMORPG maintain a
>> sufficient level of new content without PvP?

> Related question:

> Is that level nonzero?

> More precisely, do players NEED new content? Or do we just *think*
> they do?

While I'm a programmer, when it comes to games, I'm more of a player
than a designer.  I've:

  Started playing Diablo II again when the expansion launch date was
  announced.

  Started playing Subspace again because of Trench Wars

  Played XCOM again to see what it was like with all the patches

  Played UO again to try some non-OSI shards

  Played every version of Cthangband since 3.0.1 and played every
  version of Angband since 2.7.9 (i think, maybe 2.8.3), usually
  right after the launch of the new version.

  And, of course, pulled out Half-Life to play Counter-Strike.

New content is more likely to bring me back to a game than anything
else.  Especially changes that alter balance and make the game feel
different rule-wise, even if the changes are minor.  (Note XCOM,
Angband, UO PRS) I love change.