[MUD-Dev] Focus on Hocus Pocus

S. Patrick Gallaty choke at sirius.com
Wed Jun 13 22:50:23 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Trump" <trump at vividvideo.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 9:26 AM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Focus on Hocus Pocus

> On Tuesday 12 June 2001 06:38 pm, Matt Chatterley wrote:

>> A player wizard would take a bunch of reagents, some time, a bit
>> of thought and imagination, and create a sequence of events and
>> effects, which cumulate to the spell that he wants.

> The best example of this that I have seen is an old game with CGA
> graphics called The 4 Crystals of Trazere (or something like
> that).

> The system worked a bit like this....

>   There were directers and affecters.  > Directers were missile,
>   forward, surround and continuous (actually this just repeated
>   about 20 times).

The best thought out system, in my opinion of all time was the
ultima rune system.  What a joy that was just to read and
appreciate.  It was comprised of runes, each with a magical meaning.
Some sample runes would be :

  An - negate
  Bet - small
  Corp - death
  Des - down
  Ex - other

Night vision, for instances was 'Quas Lor' (illusion + light).
Minor heal was 'Bet Mani' (little health).

A wonderful, orthogonal system that appealed to me on many levels.
It amused me that they didn't follow the system correctly when they
assembled the spells in UO.  That will grate on me for an eternity.