[MUD-Dev] Focus on Hocus Pocus

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 13 14:09:51 CEST 2001

Wednesday, June 13, 2001, 2:59:27 AM, Bruce wrote:
> Matt Chatterley wrote:

>> A very rough description of some very rough plans. Rough feedback
>> appreciated. No fireballs please - I haven't finished designing
>> my Resist fire spells yet!

> Have you looked at Waving Hands or Mage2Mage?

>   http://www.gamecabinet.com/rules/WavingHands.html
>   http://www.the-infinite.org/archive/Mage2Mage.txt
>   http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/1999Q4/msg00687.php
>   http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/1997Q3/msg00934.php

> Mage2Mage is likely the more interesting of the two.

Some other stuff to look at:

The spell design system of my own Continuum/Omniverse P&P RPG:

  http://home.earthlink.net/~efindel/continuum/MAGIC.txt

(The formatting isn't too great, but it should be good for getting
some ideas).

The Champions and CORPS P&P RPGs have "power design" systems --
meant not just for spells, but for any sort of power, including
magic, psionics, super powers, etc.  Both are commercial products.
Champions isn't currently in print, but a P&P RPG player near you
probably has it.  CORPS is in print.  The cheapest way to get a new
copy is from Hyperbooks Online:

  http://www.hyperbooks.com/catalog/10007.html

You can get it hardcopy for $19.95, or as a PDF for $10.  If you'd
like a brief summary of Champions or CORPS' power design systems,
say so... I don't have that much time to spend right this moment,
but I'd be happy to write something up and post it later.  (Probably
next week, since I'll be out of town from Thursday night until
Sunday.)

The Aysle supplement for the TORG P&P RPG has a wonderful spell
creation system, but it's out of print and hard to find.  I've
described it here before:

  http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/1998Q3/msg01119.php

The thread "let's call it a spellcraft" from 1998Q3 also talks about
spell design systems.

--
Travis Casey
efindel at earthlink.net