[MUD-Dev] Focus on Hocus Pocus

Matt Chatterley mpchatty at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 13 11:55:55 CEST 2001

>From: "rayzam" <rayzam at home.com>

[Snip]

>> On the more technical side, the portions of spells which can be
>> played with are along the lines of: Range (touch, short, medium,
>> long), Area (Caster, one target, targets within area, area
>> itself), Base effect (damage, augment, afflict - where these
>> encompass confusion, healing, harming, blinding, boosting
>> stats/skills, shielding, and so forth), Element (fire, water,
>> earth, air, energy) .. yadda.

> It's a cool implementation. However, if you multiply out all those
> types, you'll have a finite spell set. Which may still result in
> picking out specific spells in a specific sequence.

Aye. I missed out a chunk here somewhere, I think. :)

Spells can be written out to scroll or book. Scrolls are one-shot
(ala so many games; you cast it, it poofs). Spells can be copied for
a cost either from a scroll to a book, or duplicated from a book to
a scroll (copying scroll->book uses the scroll up), but there will
be costs (and chances of failure) inherent here.

This might mean that when Jimmy got burnt to a crisp by that Dragon
last week, the last copy of "Mildreds Mighty Meat-pie Maker" got
burnt with him, and if someone wants the spell now, they'll have to
re-invent it. It also means that when you want "Lightning Bolt", if
you're not good enough to make it (but you think you could probably
cast one, or want to try), you've got to find a copy. Maybe this
will spur some interesting player merchantry.

Heh. Brings me back to buying benefits.. hmm. Preset spellbook
packages for RL cash. :P

I'm looking at ways to put assorted parameters into each
effect/component as well, so that you could have 'power': ie, a
range=medium, element=fire, area=sphere, 10' radius, type=damage,
explosion spell - fireball could have been created by Bob as "Bobs
blistering blast", capable of doing 5d6 plus a little for your
skill, costing 20 mana. You might want a stronger version, so you
make "Joe's Improved Blistering Blast" which costs 30 mana, but does
a bit more damage. Thinking about this at the moment.

> I've noticed that the 'spell pack' to cast is dependent on the
> monster and the implementation of the system for the npcs. Take an
> effect like Paralyze. If it's powerful, it gets used a lot to
> suppress the monster while others blast it. Or if it's effect
> lasts long enough, paralyze, then blast, rinse and repeat.

Yeah. To my mind, this will always be true - it makes sense its a
tactical approach; using your best powers to their fullest. For the
game designer, its a question of making sure that none of the
available powers tip the game balance too much (personally I favour
the consequences/risks for power approach, some simply limit power
more than me).

> However, harder NPCs are resistant to paralyze. The rate of it
> occurring to a hard enough NPC is low enough that players won't
> use it. In which case different spells are used.

> My take is that the sequence of spells to use is based not on the
> magic system per se, but on the monster implementation.

Aye. I Generally dislike handing out things like Paralysis powers
left right and center (in this specific case, it'd probably be the
extreme end of the 'slowdown' style effect), but if they do exist,
you can turn the tables dramatically once in a while just to teach
cocky players a little lesson (and make life more interesting).

Ring of spell reflection, anyone? Lost a level 25 D&D Mage that way,
once (well, to a lightning bolt, anyway). :)

> That being said, letting each mage mix and match the components to
> make their own spells sounds like a very cool feature!

It really excites me. :) :)

Curious as to the other dynamics which might arise. Will people PK
so that they can steal good spells and books? Will people barter and
trade? Hmm. :)

Now, to make the fighter style character more interesting. :)

-Matt