[MUD-Dev] Buying benefits

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Tue Jun 12 22:37:36 CEST 2001

On Mon 11 Jun, Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:

> I've been playing the latest beta of anarchy online, and
> interestingly, there are tonnes of clothes that have no function
> other than fashion.

But they do have a function, do they not? Perhaps not in the number-
crunching way  that we are used to,  but in the social game they are
very important. By offering choice, and making it unique clothing is
gaining a function of its own  that has little to do with utility in
the game itself.

> They are described as if they were pieces by
> fictitious designers. I nearly had to buy a pair of tiger stripe
> trousers last night, but funds were a bit tight :) They have shops
> full of nothing else but designer clothers.

This is what I expect to see happen more and more, to the point that
a major game can actually support fashion design as a job.

> Of course, AO doesn't require the use of real money to buy items,
> but to me thats a seperate issue anyway. Online games cost money and
> time to run, so how you finance it is almost immaterial (although
> personally I dislike the idea that by spending more money, people
> can beat me (like you said in another post, I'm a bit of an
> achiever.))

Whether you pay real or virtual money is immaterial. There is an ex-
change rate between them, one way or another.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey