[MUD-Dev] off-line pk

Koster Koster
Tue Jun 12 22:18:44 CEST 2001

Non-gamers.

> A gamer who is in a position to play M-rated games is not going to
> be put off by the fact that a few stores don't sell it.

The point being, best-selling games do not sell only to gamers. :)

> I don't go to a discount department store for games, because they
> don't have a very good selection. Their target market is the
> family, not the gamer. They're not selling to me in the first
> place. They're selling to the "Deer Hunter" crowd: people who have
> computers, like to play games, and don't have the time or the
> inclination to *specifically* look for them. In short, the vast
> majority of regular people. There's nothing wrong with that.

> But the average gamer doesn't go to those stores for games,
> either.

Of course not. But getting a title into Walmart is, frankly, a good
way to double its sales (seriously). The same company that will kick
and scream over adding 5 cents to the cost of goods for the box will
cheerfully redesign the entire packaging and make a whole new SKU
just to fit on a Walmart shelf.

-Raph