[MUD-Dev] off-line pk

Phillip Lenhardt philen at monkey.org
Mon Jun 11 12:51:10 CEST 2001

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 02:06:34PM -0700, Koster, Raph wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 12:58PM, Lenhardt, Phillip write:
>> On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 09:26:46PM -0700, Koster, Raph wrote:

>>> We've got a ways to go before we're as vilified as comics were
>>> when the Comics Code wqas imposed. It's a valid concern, but the
>>> situation is not that dire.

>> Technically, the Comics Code was self-imposed, though done out of
>> fear of government regulation. And the Code really hasn't
>> mattered since the rise of the comic-book store (newsstands are
>> pretty much the only market left that requires a Comics Code Seal
>> of Approval).

> Yes, all of that is true; I think the original poster was
> referring to what it was like during the lengthy "comics now suck"
> period. ;)

>> I really don't see how the situation is the same at
>> all. Considering that the cost of distributing a game is
>> negligable and doesn't even require distributors or a retail
>> outlet.

> Er, the cost of distributing any sizable game that makes money is
> quite large, and does require distributors and a retail outlet.

I thought the core question here was:

        "Are we in danger of losing our creative freedom due to
        externally or internally imposed content restrictions that
        prevent us from creating or distributing our work?"

And the Comics Code did exactly that. The Code restricted the types
of stories you could tell. And worse, since the major distributors
and retailers required Code approval, you couldn't just ignore the
Code because you wouldn't be able to get your work to your
audience. For example, before the Code there was a horror comics
genre (like "Tales from the Crypt"). Because of the Code's content
restrictions the horror genre languished until the early 70s when
the CCA relaxed the Code.

I agree, if there were a Games Code Authority all the major games
publishers would have to conform to it. But in today's world you
_could_ ignore such a code and still get your work to an audience
large enough to sustain it via the web, napster, etc.