[MUD-Dev] Summary of PvP attempts?

Freeman Freeman
Mon Jun 11 08:51:12 CEST 2001

> From: Koster, Raph [mailto:rkoster at verant.com]

>   Player-based: PK Switch
>
>     * Players choose whether or not they are capable of attacking;
>       only those who can attack are vulnerable
>     * Wreaks havoc with grouping systems and area effects;
>       traditionally fairly easy to circumvent
>     * Can be elaborated into a "PK OK" system of permissions for
>       duels, groups, individuals, etc
>     * Often level-limited

	[snip]

>   Everquest, Asheron's Call: PK Switch.

I was thinking about the success of the EQ PK switch this weekend
and came to the conclusion that the PK switch doesn't actually
prevent much PKing there.  As in Asheron's Call, there are other,
erm, forces at work, which keep PKing down to a level that is either
acceptable (in AC's case) or managable (in EQ's case).

I'm not as familiar with AC because I haven't played as much of it,
but in general it's *easier* to kill mobs there, and the mobs don't
chase players very far - and so it is harder to PK people by
training, blocking, etc.  Turbine doesn't, AFAIK, ban people for
skirting the PK switch, but it's so hard to kill people that PKing
isn't much of a problem anyway.

I think some other elements of gameplay lead to a sufficient
reduction in PKing, to the point that the numbers of PKs in the game
can be managed (i.e.  banned):

Specifically:

  * PvP servers pull some would-be PKers out of the PVE environment.

  * Forced grouping (play nice or your character cannot advance).

  * Forced guilding (play nice with a LOT of people or you can't
    have that uber-item from the planes raids).

  * Forced intra-guild cooperation (your guild better play nice with
    other guilds, or you won't be able to schedule your turn to raid
    the planes).

  * No looting (you don't get anything for killing other people
    anyway).

It seems to me that the PK switch on top of that is the least useful
in terms of preventing people from killing each other willy-nilly in
EQ.  So, saying that EQ utilizes a PK switch for a PvP system is a
bit innaccurate - the PK switch doesn't prevent people from killing
people nearly as much as the above stuff: No reward for PKing, no
character-advancement if you PK (not just because there's no xp from
killing players, but your advancement is actually *blocked* if
you're a known PK, because then no one will group/guild with you),
and banning for PKing, if you insist on doing it in spite of the
punishment/lack-of-reward.

I mean, it is so *easy* to kill people in EQ, in spite of the PK
switch, that people do it accidentally ALL THE TIME.

I think it's interesting that most of the things on the list there
are seen as negative, restrictive things (which they are), which the
players generally dislike about EQ.  And generally, they seem to
think the PK switch is what prevents them from being slaughtered by
griefers.