[MUD-Dev] Summary of PvP attempts?

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Mon Jun 11 07:12:40 CEST 2001

I'd just like to start this out by expressing my dissatisfaction at
the equivocation of PvP and PK. They are _not_ the same
thing. Player vs. Player does not imply anything but that the
aspects of gameplay under discussion are competitive between
players. You can have a PvP game without having any
player-killing. That, in fact, may be the next game that I do.

So, please don't muddy PvP with PK. Or, if we're going to do that,
then let's find a new term for Player vs. Player that doesn't focus
on just one type of Player vs. Player conflict. If there is a more
encompassing term or acronym that I'm not familiar with, please, let
me know. Until then though, I'm going to object every time PvP is
equated with PK. =)

(comments below)

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Koster, Raph wrote:

> Overview of the PvP design model (as opposed to Scavenger model,
> Social model, D&D model, Builder model, etc):

As you're only talking about the PK aspect of PvP, I'll add that
there's the player vs. player economic model, and player vs. player
political model too.

>   PvP style

>     * Expressive model
>       - A very old model created by accident
>     * Players determine social hierarchy via conflict

Right, now, this is good. Conflict, not just PK.

>     * Requires tangible attributes near parity
>     * Heavily dependent on intangible attributes for success

This is the #1 reason why I have little interest in playing any MUD
that isn't based on PvP. It's also the #1 reason why PvP games won't
be as big. The average person is average not because of some
conspiracy to keep him down, but because his abilities and knowledge
are average. No one wants to be average.

>     * Often added as an "elder game" to other models > Specific
>     PvP models:

>   Player-based: Free
>
>     * Anyone can attack anyone
>     * Often accompanied by admin-based solutions
>     * Does not scale to larger populations very well
>     * Relies on social mechanics to curb grief player behavior
>     * Reduction in audience of up to ~40%

You think that low? I bet if you just ins'otituted open PK on
Everquest as a whole, they would, within 20 months, lose more than
half their audience.

--matt