[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

Hulbert Hulbert
Fri Jun 8 10:45:46 CEST 2001

Caliban Tiresias Darklock [mailto:caliban at darklock.com]
wrote:

> Before the obvious analogy of local PC adventure games is brought
> up, allow me to point out that such a game would be immediately
> drawn and quartered by the media and the public alike if you
> couldn't SAVE YOUR GAME. In a multiplayer environment, saved games
> are effectively impossible, so such a comparison is flawed from
> the start.

Why are saved games impossible?  Why couldn't you offer an option of
saving the current p-file as a backup whenver a character is 'home.'
Then, death means returning to the last saved status.  If the
character has been on a long quest, and hasn't been home recently,
this means more loss, and greater risk.  On the other hand, if the
player "saves" every day, not much risk is involved.  And when
characters need to return to a certain place occasionally to refresh
their p-file backup, you provide a reason to cut down on the
inherent nomad qualities that were discussed in another recent
thread.

Lee