[MUD-Dev] Player control of NPCs

Matt Chatterley mpchatty at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 8 07:41:42 CEST 2001

From: Sanvean <sanvean at ginka.armageddon.org>
> On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Mordengaard wrote:

[Snip player-controlled NPC premise]

> We've had great luck with this, and implemented it in the form of
> a program that can get put on the NPCs to allow them to be
> controllable.  The program lists the possible commands, so they
> can't be commanded to do everything, which I'm not sure is the
> approach I'd take the second time around, but should you choose
> this approach, I'd suggest having a way the players can get a list
> of the commands, such as ask guard help, in order to have them
> recite the list.

Yeah. I intend to implement a system similar to the 'orders' systems
used in UT/Q3A/similar games. Thus you could give your mercenary
(for example) a command along the lines of:

  Defend [The camp / Bob / Everyone / This door / This treasure / etc]
  Attack [That hedgehog / Bob / The Dragon / Anyone that gets in your way]
  Collect [This item / Items matching description]
  Follow [Me / Bob / etc]
  Special [Class dependant]

One parameter could be set under each heading at once (I think these
are probably all of the required headings). Special would have
different settings, ie:

Philbert the Thief NPC might have:

  Special [Hide in shadows / Pick lock / Backstab]

and when you wanted him to use one of them, you'd select and target
it.

NPCs would *not* be guaranteed to do what you ask. This would be a
function of their trustworthiness, reliability, intelligence and how
much you decide to pay them / how much they think they can make from
treasure with you. Some might be more selfless, of course. Some
might be more of a hinderance than a help - think about the possible
ramifications of /hiring/ a /thief/ to help you out.. ;)

-Matt