[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Fri Jun 8 05:05:09 CEST 2001

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Freeman, Jeff wrote:
>> From: Matt Mihaly [mailto:the_logos at achaea.com]

>> Hypothetical: I have a MUD where _everything_ is based on what
>> equipment my character has.

> In that case, I'd say the player doesn't have a character that
> could suffer permadeath in the first place.

>> Pretty useless definition, no offence. If you quibble with the
>> name thing, then you'd down to simply claiming that changing
>> someone's name is sufficient for having permadeath.

> Ok, so there's no word to describe what we've been talking about.
> Permadeath is impossible to implement because the players next
> character might inherit something that his previous character
> owned.

Not at all. Permadeath, to me, is simply a complete break between
one character and another. Player knowledge carrying over is fine,
as that's got nothing to do with the character (and impossible to
prevent anyway). I think of permadeath as being quite a bit like
death irl. There's no halfway.

--matt