[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Thu Jun 7 22:05:18 CEST 2001

On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 01:12:01 -0700, Brian Hook <bwh at wksoftware.com>
wrote:

> But this was all in the name of "true role-playing".

I have something of a gripe with this.

Bluntly, people want to be better in the game than they are in real
life. They don't want to be schmucks with attitude. They want to be
heroes. People play games like "Wall Street Raider" and "Hacker" and
even "Normality" because they get to do things they've always wanted
to do. That's why nobody has ever written a game called "Homeless
Junkie War Veteran", even though such a role would be something of a
challenge and have many useful social aspects -- because nobody
*wants* to be a homeless junkie war veteran.

If I want to be a small cog in a big machine, I have something
called "real life". I can play this all day, every day.