[MUD-Dev] Buying benefits

Neil Brown neil_1_brown at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 7 09:04:17 CEST 2001

--- Matt Mihaly <the_logos at achaea.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Neil Brown wrote:

>> It's a possible revenue-stream, which the bean-counters always
>> like to see, but I think a lot of care needs to be taken when
>> implementing an idea like the purchasable stat increase:

[snip]

> Let me first point out that Magic's system was, from the point of
> the owners of the game, an _indisputable_ success. Magic made and

Its success is not in question.  It still pissed me off ;)

> even continues to make, a ton of money. Magic is a good example of
> why to sell things, not a good example of why not to.nod

So are you saying that any MUD developed using the same sort of
buy-to-play method that MTG uses is guaranteed to be successful?
I'm imagining a mud where you are able to purchase any number of
"grab bags" of random equipment, stats, whatever, and throw out the
junk until you have an uber-character.  Ehh, perhaps you're right,
but I wouldn't play it.  I'm just not interested in being forced to
compete financially with my fellow players in order to be a
successful player.

> I'll also point out that sports teams do exactly what you're
> talking about. It's no secret that in baseball, for instance,
> almost all the championships are made by teams in the top 1/3 of
> budgets, because they can afford the best tools (ie
> players). Granted, sports are about the people watching, not the
> people playing (at least in the case of professional sports).

Fair 'nuff - perhaps it was a poor example.

[snip]

> Well sell things that directly affect the variables of player
> v. player combat, and it works. People argue endlessly about
> whether it will work, but it's not really an argument as it's
> already been settled. The only question is what venues it will
> work in. Even in

Just to clarify, I'm talking about the EQ-like MMORPG and MUD
venues, and I simply stated that care must be taken when
implementing an equipment or stat purchasing feature, or you risk
swinging toward MTG land and losing those customers who aren't
interested in participating in a buy-your-way-to-glory game.

> stat-oriented game like Everquest it would work, given the number
> of listings for Everquest items on Ebay.

Ebay, while providing a mechanism for purchasing items, does not
offer items that cannot be obtained within the game through other
means.  Instead of buying that Executioner's Axe for $50 on Ebay, I
can figure out how to go about getting one in-game, do the work,
wind up with my prize, and probably feel pretty good about getting
it to boot.  In the MTG world, there's no possible way I can get a
Jester's Cap ( or some more highly desired card - I'm a bit out of
touch ;) without buying it or gambling on the extremely unlikely
chance that it'll come up in a tourney ante ( which I'd probably
lose anyways since the whole reason I want a Jester's cap is because
my deck is too underpowered :P ).

-o-
Neil