[MUD-Dev] Player run reputation system

Andrew Reisse andrew at reisse.net
Wed Jun 6 12:18:40 CEST 2001

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 01:11:14AM -0400, David Loeser wrote:

> I think there are many areas in mud/MMORPG development that
> haven't been expanded on to any degree.  Of the next generation of
> commercial MMORPGs to hit the market, Shadowbane seems to be the
> standout while the others (I'm referring to the midevil period
> games) seem to be "Me too's."

While I agree that there are many areas of development for MMO games
to go, I wouldn't dismiss all mideval period games as me-too's,
since SWG is essentially the same as UO but in a different
setting. The period of the world and its inhabitants is just a
setting, it can still have new reputation systems, player-run
governance, or other untested concepts, while a technological world
could be nothing more than diablo in the 25th century.