[MUD-Dev] Neverwinter Nights

Lee Sheldon linearno at gte.net
Wed Jun 6 09:34:35 CEST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: mud-dev-admin at kanga.nu [mailto:mud-dev-admin at kanga.nu]On Behalf Of
David Loeser
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2001 11:45 PM
To: mud-dev at kanga.nu
Subject: RE: [MUD-Dev] Neverwinter Nights

> I like both views... when I'm moving around from place to place, I
> like to be in first person perspective. When I'm fighting a group
> of bunny rabbits, I like to see my neat-o kung-fu moves in 3rd
> person.

In EQ I played almost always in 1st person, only dropping back
occasionally to watch as I jogged across the Karanas.  In AC I
played in an over-the-shoulder POV because the physics of the
movement didn't feel right in 1st person.  I felt as if I was
floating, while in EQ my feet "felt" like they were coming into
contact with the ground.  After both of those though I haven't been
able to get into UO as completely as I expected to.  I'd played 3rd
person isometric in Baldur's Gate, so I thought it wouldn't be a
problem.  But I found myself missing the lower angled POVs from the
other two.

I can relate this to camera angles in films.  To put our audience in
the middle of the action in a film we stay at about shoulder height,
dipping lower for dramatic effects.  When we crane up into the
equivalent of the isometric 3D however it is deliberately to
objectify the experience, to pull back on the empathy, and to allow
the audience a moment to take in the big picture.  These camera
angles are part of a film collective unconscious all moviegoers/TV
watchers share, and have an impact on how those of us who watch them
view games.

As a result I'm worried about how immersed I'll be able to become in
Neverwinter Nights.

Lee