[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

SavantKnowsAll at cs.com SavantKnowsAll at cs.com
Wed Jun 6 01:17:42 CEST 2001

In a message dated 6/5/01 9:54:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time, shren at io.com
writes:

> Two games in mind.  First, one you've all heard of before,
> Ackadia.  It's free but I'd pay for it.  Second, Diablo II, which
> gets it's income from box sales and advertisements as far as I can
> tell.  Make that three, if you count Angband.

Diablo II I'll give you partial credit for, but it's important to
note that Permadeath in DII is completely optional, and there is no
monthly fee associated with it.

>  You're summoning your rule out of thin air.  You're saying,
>  "Perma-death does not work, can not work, and no self-respecting
>  mud would ever implement it."  There are permadeath games, and
>  thus you have no rule.  There's potential for more permadeath
>  games, as well, as balanced permadeath systems emerge.

I'm saying that in my /opinion/, for a game which will require a
monthly fee - and thus, offer a persistant character - cannot have
"true" permadeath.  And by true permanent death, I mean where
permadeath is a quite possible non-optional feature.

>  If you want to make sure money, go make a Quake clone.  If you
>  want to innovate, this is the industry for it.  If no fringe
>  market ever made it big time, there would be no computer games
>  industry.

You're absolutely right in the sense that it hasn't been tried yet
(in a large-scale, pay-to-play game).  And trying it would most
definitely mean innovation.  I'm merely offering you my opinion.

Daniel