Hiding the Numbers (was Re: [MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.)

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Tue Jun 5 17:06:28 CEST 2001

Matt Mihaly writes:
> On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, John Buehler wrote:

> Hey, check it out, John and I agree.

Nah.  We probably just misunderstand something about the other's
position :)

>> A game that shows all information is geared for competition.  A
>> game that obfuscates all internals permits both competition and
>> cooperation, while catering to neither.  Quantification is the
>> cannon fodder of competition.

> Basketball doesn't show any internals (no one can reliably
> quantify a player's "strength" or "ball-handling skills". They can
> only make approximations at best.) and is awfully competitive, the
> recent Laker's sweep not withstanding.

All games that provide numbers are geared for competition.  Not all
games geared for competition provide numbers.

In the case of basketball, there are certainly volumes of numbers
through which players and fans can compare.  Food for competition.

JB